Sunday, July 17, 2011

Is Your Shampoo Making You Fat?

More on that in a minute, let's start with 4-7-8 Breathing
(Source)

I've told you I'm taking a chronic pain course that has 3 components. One is relaxation therapy with biofeedback. It's very interesting and I learned a great breathing technique I want to share. It's called 4-7-8 breathing and it helps you to breathe deeply and gets your breaths down to about 10 breaths per minute, which is a great rate for deep relaxation. 
The theory is that when you regulate your breathing, other parts of your body respond by relaxing as well. It's used as a pain management technique to ease tension, regulate blood pressure, heart rate, and temperature. (here's a site on how to use 4-7-8 breathing). This is where biofeedback comes in...






Biofeedback
(Source)

I hadn't heard about this relaxation technique before, but it's so neat so I wanted to share. I've done it a few times in sessions so far and am really intrigued by it. I'll use Mayo Clinic's definition (found here) to describe it:
"Biofeedback is a complementary and alternative medicine technique in which you learn to control bodily functions, such as your heart rate, using your mind. With biofeedback, you're connected to electrical sensors that help you measure and receive information (feedback) about your body (bio). The biofeedback sensors teach you how to make subtle changes in your body, such as relaxing certain muscles, to achieve the results you want, such as reducing pain. 


In essence, biofeedback gives you the power to use your thoughts to control your body, often to help with a health condition or physical performance. Biofeedback is often used as a relaxation technique". 

I've really enjoyed it and found it interesting to see where my numbers (heart rate, body temp, "stress" rate) are as I practice deep breathing and relaxation. In my last session, I was hooked up during a 20 minute hypnosis (super relaxing), and the therapist observed that my breaths are a little bit shallow. We'll have to see if that's something I can work on in future sessions.The sessions are recorded as well so she can see what my average was and see where my numbers were at different times during the session.  Overall, I've already been able to see with my own eyes how practicing this deep breathing technique can calm the rest of the body down and regain some control of our body's stress response. 




Is your shampoo making you fat?

(Source)

Isn't that a great heading? A friend at work told me about this article she read so I wanted to let you know about it too. Here's the article she referred to, and I'll summarize it with a quote from this article about the same study: 

"Any doctor or dietician will agree that the solution to the obesity crisis is a healthy diet and regular exercise. But new research indicates that they are not the only factors at play.
A recent study has suggested that chemicals used in many common beauty products could be quietly contributing to weight gain.

Doctors at the Mount Sinai Medical Center in New York say that phthalates, which appear on ingredients lists of around 70 per cent of shampoos, cosmetics and soaps, could be 'endocrine disruptors', and should be avoided where possible."

 Crazy! Try the no poo, I'm telling you. I haven't used shampoo since November and I'm loving it! I use a baking soda + water paste instead of shampoo and I use Yes to Carrots paraben and sulfate free conditioner (love it). My hair looks and feels great and I love ridding my body of those chemicals.  Have you tried it or are you tempted to try it? Try it one weekend and see what you think - let me know how it goes!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

The biofeedback is really interesting! You had said that word to me not long ago and my mom just told me about it this weekend after I started getting pregnacy-related anxiety. I know it can help with things like that. I just may have to try it when I feel anxious and see what happens.

I think the no poo this is interesting. I just don't know if I could go a few months with bad hair days while I figure out the right amount for me. I love my Pantene conditioner bc my hair is SO SMOOTH afterward but that's probably because there's a ton of animal fat in it or something. Maybe I'll look into Yes to Carrots stuff. I just used the face scrub today and liked it.

P.S. I just thought it was funny to note that my Auto Captcha word for this comment was "weenus" ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...